The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. – Martin Luther King, Jr.
For over five years, Congressman Frelinghuysen has refused to hold an in-person town hall to defend his voting record to his constituents. This is shameful.
John Bartlett knows leadership starts with listening. Elected officials cannot be representatives if they never meet and really listen to the people they represent.
Congressman Frelinghuysen refuses to hold in-person town halls with constituents because he knows that his voting record is out of step with the 11th Congressional District. Consider the following:
- Frelinghuysen has supported Donald Trump’s position 96% of the time. While Donald Trump barely won the 11th Congressional District in 2016, and has pursued a right-wing governing ideology at odds with our District’s priorities and interests. Frelinghuysen is one of the most consistent Trump supporters – from turning away from renewable energy and back towards fossil fuels, to helping fund Trump’s border wall.
- Frelinghuysen voted for a GOP budget plan that eliminates the federal deduction for state and local taxes that most of us rely upon. One analysis concluded “the average family of four in a sample zip code in Frelinghuysen’s district would see its taxes rise by an average of $4,409, more than anywhere else.” All to pay for a tax cut for corporations and a few ultra-wealthy folks like himself and Donald Trump.
- Frelinghuysen has turned his back on supporting responsible environmental legislation. In 2016, Frelinghuysen received an 8% score from the League of Conservation Voters and Frelinghuysen supports slashing Department of Environmental Protection funding.
- On the issue of women’s reproductive freedom Congressman Frelinghuysen claims to be pro-choice, but his votes suggest otherwise. Frelinghuysen received only a 10% lifetime rating from Planned Parenthood Action Fund – but a 93% rating fro the anti-choice National Right to Life Committee. Frelinghuysen also has a disastrous record of supporting women’s issues, including voting to defund Planned Parenthood in 2015 and 2017.
- Frelinghuysen voted to support repealing Obamacare and replacing it with the disastrous American Health Care Act, which would have drastically increased premiums for older Americans and removed protections for people with preexisting conditions.
For failing to step up and meet with his constituents while voting in lock step with Washington’s right-wing extremists, Frelinghuysen has truly earned the nickname, Congressman Frelinghiding.
But while the Congressman hides, John Bartlett is out in towns across the 11th District, listening to people’s concerns. John launched his campaign with “30 coffees in 30 days” – a listening tour that took him to all corners of the District. And John will keep on listening, both before and after Election Day, because he believes #leadershipstartswithlistening.